One thing that makes lips susceptible to dryness and cracking is that they don’t sweat or don’t contain oil glands. The skin on the lips is also thinner than that of other body parts and is often exposed to harsh elements that can dry it further. These include the cold and dry air, and the heat or sun.
If you constantly suffer from chapped lips, it may be helpful to know the factors and conditions that can contribute to it:
- Constant sun exposure
- Weather (little humidity in the air)
- Excessive licking of the lips
- Breathing through mouth
- Malnourishment or nutrient deficiencies
- Certain medications (like Vitamin A supplements and lithium)
- Cheilitis (severe form of chapped lips due to infection, with symptoms like cracked skin in the corner of the lips, red lips, and lumpy texture)
Treating chapped lips
In most cases, you can prevent and treat chapped lips at home. It starts with adding enough moisture to your pout. Some of the things that can help include:
- Drink plenty of water – Staying properly hydrated can make your lips less prone to dryness. Make it a habit to drink water throughout the day and limit your consumption of coffee or caffeinated beverages.
- Use a good lip balm – Applying a good lip balm throughout the day can moisturize your lips and prevent dryness. Just be sure to avoid scented and flavored products, as well as those with drying ingredients like camphor, menthol, and phenol. Look for those with petroleum, ceramides, beeswax, and lanolin.
- Avoid licking your lips constantly – Repeated lip licking can make dryness worse. While saliva may add moisture to lips instantly, this also evaporates quickly. This leads to even drier lips than before. It is better to use a lip balm anytime you’re tempted to lick your lips.
- Use natural remedies – Some lip remedies can be found in your home. One good choice is honey because it has antibacterial properties and is highly moisturizing. Other things that can help include coconut oil, aloe vera, and cucumber.
- Avoid or stop smoking – Apart from causing dryness, smoking can also raise your risk of having lip infections. It can also contribute to bad breath, gum diseases, and other mouth problems.
If you have severe cracking and dryness in your lips that doesn’t improve with the aforementioned tips, see your dermatologist or healthcare provider. S/he can help you determine the underlying cause of your chapped lips and recommend the right treatment plan.
Improving the volume and appearance of lips
Whether you’re looking to add more volume to your lips or have a more defined pout, lip fillers can help. These injectable gels are commonly used to restore lost skin volume, as well as plump up the lips. Dermal fillers can improve the appearance of your lips or thinning/deflated pout.
What are lip fillers made of: Most dermal fillers used for lip enhancements are made with hyaluronic acid or HA. This is a naturally occurring substance in the body, which is responsible for water retention to keep the skin hydrated. Effective and FDA-approved HA fillers include Juvederm Ultra, Volift, and Volbella.
What should you know about fillers: HA-based fillers gradually disappear over time and are metabolized by your own body. It is also good to know that lip fillers are reversible, which only means that the injectable gels can be dissolved if you did not like the results. Check out our previous blog for answers to common concerns about lip fillers.
What results can you expect: The results can be seen almost immediately, but you have to wait for at least two weeks for the material to fully blend and settle. These can last between six and 12 months. Repeated lip injections can also improve the hydrobalance of your lips.
Take note: Only consult a skilled injector who has extensive experience in administering the fillers. This is because filler injection is a process that takes time and requires both the artistry of the doctor. Dr. Sylvia Ramirez of Cutis Laser Clinics has extensive experience with dermal fillers including the use of Juvederm.
Don’t let dry and chapped lips negatively affect the way you look and feel. Consider the tips mentioned above and make an effort to take better care of your pout. https://ladyx.ch You can also contact Cutis Laser Clinics in Singapore today and schedule a consultation with our aesthetic doctor to learn how fillers can improve your lips’ appearance.