Fine lines and wrinkles are not the only signs of aging that worry people. There is also the concern about loose skin, which causes the lower half of the face to look droopy. This often results in a less defined jawline with the appearance of saggy chin and turkey neck.
The loss of volume, which includes collagen, muscles, and facial fat, due to aging greatly affects the lower region of your face. Gravity and aging of the structures cause the muscles and fat to descend southward, which can then elongate the face and result in other signs of aging in the lower face. These include:
- Sad or downturned mouth – This is when the (muscles in the) corners of the mouth droop or turn downward, even without movement in the facial muscles. This can then change your facial expressions, giving the face a sad or an angry appearance.
- Loss of lip volume – Lips also get thinner over time, with the appearance of a flatter or uneven pout with lack of definition. The natural decline in collagen is said to be the main reason why the lips go from plump to thin. Smoker’s lines or vertical lines above the lip may also occur over time.
- Nasolabial folds – Also known as smile or laugh lines, nasolabial folds are lines or wrinkles that sit on either side of the mouth. They run from the edge of the nose to the outer corners of the mouth and are more prominent with certain facial expressions like smiling.
- Marionette lines – These refer to vertical folds or creases that run from the corners of the mouth down to the outer corners of the chin. They sit below the nasolabial folds and can make your face look mad or unhappy even when you’re not.
- Jowls/ jowling – These refer to the fat and sagging skin that hangs below the chin or jawline. Its main cause or contributor is thinning skin or loss of collagen and elastin that happens over time.
What can you do about these signs of aging?
While surgical facelift is one popular option, a number of nonsurgical alternatives can also take years off your appearance. There are laser and energy-based treatments that can lift and tighten the skin, as well as injectables for relaxing lines and filling in volume loss. Here are some nonsurgical procedures worth considering:
Ultherapy – This non-invasive facelift uses time-tested ultrasound energy to lift skin on the face, brow, under the chin, and on the neck. It can also reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles on the face and chest areas. It helps stimulate collagen production, with significant results that appear over 2 to 3 months.
Titan skin tightening – This uses laser light technology to heat the dermis and stimulate collagen production. It can treat the skin on the face as well as cheeks, jowls, and eye area. Titan can also improve lines and folds, and tighten lax skin in arms, abdomen, and legs.
Botox or Botulinum toxin – This anti-wrinkle injectable uses neurotoxin protein that temporarily blocks the signal from a nerve to muscle. It relaxes the wrinkles with effect can last between three and six months or longer with repeated injections. Botox can also be used for jaw slimming or contouring.
Dermal fillers – These injectable treatments are commonly made with hyaluronic acid (HA) and calcium hydroxyapatite (CaHA) or water-based gels. Dermal fillers can be used for lip enhancement and lower face/ jawline contouring. You can also turn to fillers for improving nasolabial folds, and reducing the appearance of lines on the face.
PDO thread lift – This uses absorbable PDO threads that can gently elevate saggy skin on the midface, jawline, and neck. The inserted threads trigger the self-healing process of the skin to stimulate collagen production. PDO threads can also be used on lifting the jawline while improving marionette lines.
Let Cutis Laser Clinics in Singapore be your partner in fighting the signs of aging. Contact us today and book a consultation with our aesthetic doctor to find out which anti-aging treatment is right for you.