Acne doesn’t just occur on the face. It can also appear on other areas of the body, such as the shoulder and the back (also known as bacne). And just like the spots and pimples that form on your face, back acne can also leave hyperpigmentation, redness, and scars that can make you feel self-conscious.
While it is true that bacne, scars, and marks may not be visible when you’re wearing regular t-shirts or sweaters, they can keep you away from other items of clothing. This is especially true for those that expose your shoulders or back. Concealing them with makeup can somehow help, but they can be time-consuming with short-lived effects.
This only makes it important to tackle bacne and acne scarring in the first place. The treatments, of course, are different from the ones used on the face, as the body skin is thicker. The good news is it can take on more aggressive treatments or chemical formulations with high percentages of active ingredients.
So, what can help?
Here at Cutis, we have the VI Peel Body, which is a professional-grade chemical peel designed to tackle body skin concerns. It features a stronger formula that can penetrate deeper to create true corrective change. VI Peel Body’s unique blend of ingredients can go beyond the reach of regular topical treatments.
The basics of VI Peel Body
As previously mentioned, VI Peel Body is a professional-grade body peel for all skin types and tones. It helps increase cellular turnover and stimulate collagen to treat different skin issues, giving you a smoother and more radiant complexion. It can tackle different body skin concerns, including:
- Body acne
- Acne scarring
- Hyperpigmentation and sun damage
- Stretch marks
- Scars from injuries or surgeries
VI Peel Body has four key ingredients that can target a variety of skin concerns on any part of the body. It contains glycolic acid that can instantly exfoliate dead skin cells and lactic acid that hydrates and lightens pigmentation as it firms. It also has mandelic acid, which reduces oil production and suppresses pigment, as well as trichloroacetic acid that penetrates the skin, targeting acne, wrinkles, and pigment.
What can you expect with VI Peel Body?
You may be able to see some improvements after the first session, but the recommended number of treatments is three for most conditions. It will also depend on the severity of your skin concerns. There may be cases where you’ll need two to four peels, particularly for acne and pigmentation. VI Peel Body can be performed every four to eight weeks.
You can also expect your skin to be bronzed or flushed in appearance within the first four hours after the peel. Other side effects include redness, dryness, and mild stinging and itching, but there should be no pain or discomfort. VI Peel Body is non-invasive, painless on application, and safe for all areas of the body.
The peeling process starts between the fourth and seventh day and can last up to four to seven days. The total post-peel period is eight to 14 days. You will be given an aftercare kit that you can use at home to take care of the skin and support its healing process.
Can lifestyle changes get rid of back acne and scarring?
Making positive lifestyle changes and using certain medications can help treat bacne and reduce pigmentation and scarring. Here are some things that can help:
- Exfoliate – Just be gentle when doing so. You can use a scrub with exfoliating ingredients like salicylic acid to get rid of the extra dirt and oils and reduce dead skin cells that could clog your pores.
- Try benzoyl peroxide – This ingredient kills acne-causing bacteria and can help clear mild or moderate bacne. You can use foaming washes with benzoyl peroxide to reduce flares and control back acne. These are available over-the-counter in varying strengths. You can also benefit from letting the product sit on your skin for two to five minutes and then rinse it off afterward.
- Shower after working out – Don’t let the dirt and sweat linger on your skin after a sweat session. Shower as soon as you can and change clothes if you get extra sweaty while working out. You should also wash your workout clothes after each use or wear.
- Protect skin from the sun – Always wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen when going out. Choose a formula that is non-comedogenic, oil-free, with SPF of at least 30, and water-resistant. It is not true that sun rays will help clear acne. The truth is it can only worsen acne and darken your skin.
- Keep hair off your back – If you have long hair, make sure to always put it in a bun or ponytail, especially when working out. It is also not advisable to let shampoo or conditioner run down your back, as they have ingredients that can clog pores.
- Refrain from using anything that rubs against your back – Backpacks and other things that rub against your skin can cause irritation, contributing to acne or making existing ones worse. Switch to a handheld or shoulder bag.
Schedule a consultation
The treatment for acne can take several weeks to work, with complete clearing taking three to four months. If lifestyle changes and at-home remedies do nothing to improve your acne, it is best to see a skin or aesthetic doctor. The same is also true if you have large or painful acne, or scarring and pigmentation on your back.
Contact Cutis Medical Laser Clinics in Singapore today and schedule a consultation with one of our aesthetic doctors to learn more about VI Peel Body or find out which treatments work best for your skin.