Do cellulite and stretch marks make you self-conscious? If yes, you are not alone. While both of these body changes are normal, they are often considered unsightly or unattractive. This is why it is not surprising that there are lots of skincare products in the market that promise to cure or remove these skin concerns.
While some of these products do make a subtle difference, do take note that there is no cure for cellulite and stretch marks. They are likely to get better over time, but you cannot expect any product to completely remove them. Non-surgical treatments are worth considering if you really want to see a noticeable reduction in their appearance.
At Cutis Medical Laser Clinics, we recommend acoustic shockwave therapy. This non-invasive treatment can reduce cellulite appearance by making the tissues softer and firmer. It can also help improve skin texture and elasticity without cuts, needles, and longer downtime.
Cellulite vs stretch marks
Before we get down to the nitty-gritty of acoustic shockwave therapy, let us first discuss the difference between cellulite and stretch marks:
Also referred to as orange-peel skin, cellulite is caused by fat buildup under the skin along with its interaction with the connective tissues. Skin dimpling can occur when the underlying fat deposits push towards the skin, distorting the connective tissues. It is characterized by lumps and dimples on the thighs, abdomen, buttocks, and hips.
A number of factors can contribute to cellulite formation. These include:
- Age – Cellulite tends to get worse with aging due to thin and less elastic skin.
- Gender – While both genders can have cellulite, it is a lot more common in women.
- Genes – Cellulite tends to run in families, so you are more likely to have it if your mother or grandmother had cellulite.
- Habits/lifestyle – Smoking, poor diet, and having a sedentary lifestyle can increase your risk of having cellulite.
Check out our previous blog to learn the 5 things you may not know about cellulite.
Stretch marks are a type of scars that occur due to the pulling of the skin. This can happen because of rapid growth or stretching, which disrupts the normal production of collagen. These marks commonly appear as lines and streaks on the skin and are of different color and texture than your normal skin.
Sudden weight gain and body growth are the most common causes of stretch marks. Other factors can also increase your likelihood of having them.
- During and after pregnancy – The skin stretches during this time to accommodate or make room for the baby.
- Puberty – Growth spurts in puberty can lead to the stretching of the skin or stretch marks.
- Genetics – Having a family history of stretch marks increases your likelihood of getting them.
- Long-term use of corticosteroids – This lowers your skin’s collagen levels, which compromises its ability to stretch.
- Bodybuilding (intense workouts) – Building muscles rapidly can cause tearing in the skin’s middle layer, resulting in the appearance of stretch marks.
- Certain medical conditions – Cushing’s disease is an adrenal gland disorder that increases the level of cortisol in the body. This hormone is known to decrease skin elasticity.
Read our previous post to learn more about the color of your stretch marks and what it means.
How can Acoustic Shockwave Therapy help?
Acoustic shockwave therapy uses a handheld device that sends acoustic wave pulses or radial shockwaves into the connective tissues. At Cutis Medical Laser Clinics, we have two clinically proven and US FDA cleared devices that use this technology: X-Wave and ZWave.
- X-Wave – uses modified acoustic wave pulses to induce vibrations that help break down fat under the skin. X-Wave also stimulates lymphatic drainage to remove toxins and promotes collagen growth to improve skin texture and elasticity.
- ZWave – sends radial shockwaves into the connective tissues to break down fat and tissues that cause cellulite. It also helps in collagen formation to make the skin firmer and more elastic. ZWave can also be paired with a fat freezing device like ZLipo for improved fat reduction results.
This non-invasive treatment is clinically proven for:
- Cellulite reduction
- Improving the look of stretch marks
- Firming and tightening of sagging skin
- Improving scar appearance
- Toning and smoothing skin
Other important things to know about Acoustic Shockwave Therapy:
- Both X-Wave and ZWave have a major effect on collagen structure, which is beneficial in improving the appearance of cellulite, scars, and stretch marks.
- Many patients find the treatment comfortable, comparable to a relaxing massage.
- The treatment can take between 15 and 60 minutes, depending on the treatment area.
- Acoustic shockwave can be used on different parts of the body such as the stomach, buttocks, thighs, and upper arms.
- You may see improvements after your first sessions, but significant results are more visible after 2 to 3 treatments.
- You will need multiple sessions to see dramatic results. A consultation with our aesthetic doctor will let you know how many treatments you need depending on your goals and individual profile.
- Touch-up treatments and a healthy lifestyle can help maintain the results of your acoustic shockwave therapy.
To learn more about acoustic shockwave therapy and our other non-invasive body treatments, contact Cutis Medical Laser Clinics in Singapore today and schedule a consultation with our aesthetic doctor.