Many of us spend most of our day sitting at a desk, working in front of a screen. This contributed to an increase in sedentary lifestyles, which can, in the long run, lead to weight gain and an increased risk of chronic health problems, including diabetes, heart disease, and certain cancers.
Another major risk of having a sedentary lifestyle is that it can result in heightened stress levels. This can negatively affect our mental health, as well as our skin or overall appearance. Accumulating extra body fat can also lead to a range of other conditions. It can mess with your hormones, with effects that can show up on the skin.
Further reading: Can a Sedentary Lifestyle Affect Your Skin?
Fight a sedentary lifestyle
While many of us may be trapped in a sedentary lifestyle, there are a lot of ways to get out. And, you don’t need to go to the gym to get the exercise you need; you can move around indoors or outdoors, as well as incorporate activity and be active at work. You can get the most benefits if you also pair it with a balanced, nutritious diet.
Below are some ways to combat a sedentary lifestyle:
If you can’t go outside because of the weather, you can still be active at home. There are lots of fitness videos to follow, as well as exercise routines that don’t need any equipment. These include push-ups, squats, lunges, or burpees. Just be aware of your own limitations when following an online exercise class.
Other indoor activities you can try include:
- Swimming (at an indoor pool)
- Martial arts
Here are other simple ways to reduce your sedentary behavior while you’re at home:
- Stand or walk around when you’re on the phone.
- Stand, walk around, or walk in place during TV commercials.
- If possible, listen to audiobooks while walking, cleaning, or doing any household chores.
If you, on the other hand, work in an office, you can try the following things:
- Stand up while reading reports or emails.
- Take breaks (several short ones instead of one long break) to stand up and move around.
- Walk or cycle to the office if possible.
- Go for a walk at lunchtime (don’t eat lunch at your desk).
- Move your trash can away from your desk so you’ll have to get up when you want to throw something away.
- Consider setting up a standing desk or stacking a pile of books, so you can work while standing.
- Make simple changes in the evening or when you get home from work. Try doing simple exercises, washing the dishes, or limiting time spent watching TV.
Incorporating more physical activity into your day
- Use the stairs instead of the elevator (lift) or escalator.
- If possible, walk, cycle, or leave the car at home.
- Get off the bus (or any public transport) one stop early and walk to your destination.
- Wear a pedometer to track your steps and set goals.
- Add movement when doing household chores(like dancing while doing housework).
How to fit exercise into your life
If you have time for exercise or working out on some days, here are some suggestions you can try:
- Exercise early in the morning before your work or daily tasks. Get into the habit of sleeping and waking up early to help your body gradually adapt.
- Schedule your exercise session (in your diary or calendar) to help you become more committed and consistent.
- Choose an exercise routine or a sport that you really enjoy. You can also mix things up by trying new activities that seem exciting/interesting to you.
- Exercise with a friend or a loved one else to increase your chances of sticking to your exercise plan.
- Do some crunches, jumping jacks, or push-ups after waking up or before getting ready for work.
Keep in mind: Workouts don’t need to be long, hard, or intense to be effective or to see progress. You can do hard or intense exercise if you want or need to, but easy and moderate routines can also benefit both your physical and mental health.
How Cutis Medical Laser Clinics can help with Sedentary Lifestyle
Here at Cutis, we believe that diet and exercise is the best way to lose weight and achieve your ideal figure. There are, however, instances where you may need help in targeting excess fat, especially those in stubborn areas. These include the belly and waist, upper arms, thighs and bottom, and under the chin.
Our clinic has a range of non-invasive body shaping devices that can help contour your body and reduce stubborn fat. It can give you the boost you need to jumpstart your fitness goals and reduce the load you have to carry when exercising or playing sports. These include:
- ZLipo – uses fat freezing to cool down fat cells to the point of natural elimination. It can treat the belly, back, and flanks, as well as smaller areas like the chin, knees, and underarms. ZLipo also has the 360° applicators that feature an enlarged treatment area, reduced treatment time, and a comfortable vacuum.
- CoolSculpting – also uses fat freezing (cooling temperatures) to target and kill fat cells. Common treatment areas include the abdomen, flanks, thighs, arms, and chin. CoolSculpting can remove up to 20 to 25% of fat cells (on average) in a specific area.
- BTL Vanquish ME – uses contactless radiofrequency to target the fat cells and expose them to heat. It can eliminate up to 59% of excess belly fat after failure to respond to diet and exercise. Vanquish ME can treat target areas such as the abdomen, flanks, and thighs.
- Acoustic shockwave therapy (X-Wave/ZWave) – uses targeted vibrations or modified wave pulses to break down fat and tissues that cause cellulite. It helps reduce the appearance of skin dimpling and aids in collagen production.
- Exilis Ultra 360 – combines radiofrequency and ultrasound energy to deliver head-to-toe rejuvenation. It can help target and eliminate fat cells, as well as stimulate new collagen production to tighten loose skin and reduce the appearance of cellulite. Exilis also has an applicator that is designed to improve lines, wrinkles, and jowls on the face.
- ZField Dual – uses electromagnetic energy for targeted muscle building and stimulation. It can strengthen gluteal and abdominal muscles, helping you achieve visible muscles without intense workouts.
- ThermoSculpt – uses diathermocontraction (diathermy + faradic muscle contraction) for total body reinvention. It can help with fat burning, muscle toning, and skin laxity improvement in the abdomen, thighs, arms, buttocks, and knees.
We also have our Cutis Medical Gym, which gives you access to a range of devices or treatments. A subscription means you won’t be tied to a single treatment package. A patient-tailored fitness plan will also allow you to combine treatments to work out different trouble zones for consistent results. This works well with diet and exercise.
The only way to fight a sedentary lifestyle is to get moving. Consider the tips mentioned above or start small and stick to it. If you need help in reducing pinchable or stubborn fat, contact Cutis Medical Laser Clinics in Singapore today and schedule a consultation with our aesthetic doctor to find out which treatment or combination treatments are right for you.