Large pores are one major barrier to flawless skin. Apart from giving the face a bumpy and dull appearance, bigger pores can also make your skin look dull and tired.
This is especially true if they are clogged with oil and dirt, and are accompanied with other blemishes like pimples, blackheads, and facial redness.
Sadly, there are seemingly harmless habits that can clog your pores and make them look larger. Here are some of the pore-enlarging habits that you need to stop doing right now:
1. Forgetting to remove your makeup
For most people, they use cosmetic products like concealer, foundation, or pressed powder to hide enlarged pores. While there is nothing wrong with this, just be sure to remove your makeup before going to bed.
Sleeping with makeup on can block and clog your pores, leading to dirt accumulation, an even larger pores, and breakouts.
Use a makeup remover or a Gentle Foaming Wash to free your face from any makeup. You can also benefit from using a balancing toner to make sure that every layer of your makeup is gone before you go to sleep.
2. Skipping sun protection
As we age, our skin loses elasticity making our pores look more noticeable. Sun exposure accelerates the aging process of our skin, resulting not only in larger pores, but also premature aging, including wrinkles, fine lines, and dark spots.
This makes the use of sunscreen extremely important whenever going out.
Good recommendations include Clear Defense SPF 45 and Sheer Defense Tinted SPF 46 from Dr. Sylvia Skin Care. Both products are oil-free and non-greasy and can protect your skin without causing breakouts.
3. Over washing your face
While washing your face removes dirt and debris, doing this multiple times can strip the skin of its natural moisture and make it overly dry. When this happens, the skin will have to compensate by producing more oil, which can then clog the pores and make them appear larger.
Experts recommend washing the face twice daily. Use a gentle cleanser like the Purifying AZA Cleanser from Dr. Sylvia Skin Care. Then continue with an alcohol-free toner and finish off with a light moisturizer. You can check out this link for a selection of gentle and medical-grade skincare products.
4. Picking and touching your face often
Your hands touch a lot of things throughout the day, so mindlessly running your fingers across your face can transfer the bacteria, dirt, and other impurities that can clog your pores. The same is also true for habits that can squeeze and stretch the skin, such as picking and popping your pimples and blackheads.
Resist the temptation to touch your skin and find a hobby that will keep your hands busy – whether it’s reading a book, doing puzzles or even learning to play an instrument.
What can I do to make my pores less noticeable?
Apart from a good skin care regimen and avoiding the habits mentioned above, you can also turn to aesthetic procedures to make them appear smaller. Here are a few effective treatments worth considering:
- VI Peel. This safe, yet highly powerful chemical peel can improve the tone, texture, and clarity of your skin. It has been proven effective in the treatment of large pores, fine lines, wrinkles, and acne scarring. It can also reduce sunspots, melasma, and hyperpigmentation. Check our previous blog and learn how VI Peel can improve your skin.
- Laser Genesis Skin Therapy. This non-invasive laser treatment stimulates collagen growth to promote healthy skin. It can effectively treat large pores, uneven skin texture, wrinkles and fine lines. It can lessen the appearance of acne scars and diffuse or calm redness.
- Pearl Procedure. This laser skin resurfacing treatment uses an FDA-cleared technology that provides “stem-to-stern” rejuvenation in less than a week. It can effectively treat enlarged pores, uneven skin texture, wrinkles, age spots, and sun damage. Read our previous blog and learn how Pearl Resurfacing can give you a radiant and youthful skin.
- Dermapen. This innovative micro-needling device can lift, tighten, and rejuvenate skin. It can minimize large pores on the foreheads, nose, cheeks, and all over the face. It can also improve fines lines and wrinkles, as well as reduce acne scarring, pigmentation, and stretch marks.
Schedule a Consultation Today
Don’t let enlarged pores make your skin look dull, old, and tired. Contact Cutis Laser Clinics today and schedule a consultation with our Harvard-trained aesthetic doctor, Dr. Sylvia Ramirez, to make your pores smaller and less noticeable.