The neck is among the first areas of the body to show signs of aging. Its thin and delicate skin, along with daily wear and tear, makes it susceptible to wrinkling and sagging. The neck, furthermore, tends to get a lot less care, as many of us unknowingly forget about this area.
Why does your neck deserve care and attention?
Yes, the skin on your neck is thinner than the skin on your face. This is the reason why you may start to see signs of aging in the area long before certain wrinkles on the face show up.
Here are the other reasons why you need to give your neck more love and attention:
- It contains less natural oil – The skin on your neck and chest has less sebum than that of your face. This means that there is not enough moisture to protect it from premature signs of aging.
- It has less melanocytes – This goes for both your neck and décolletage. Melanocytes refer to the skin cells that produce melanin. This pigment gives your skin, eyes, and hair their color, as well as protects the skin by blocking UV radiation. Less melanocyte makes the skin more prone to daily sun damage.
- It is often exposed to the sun and other elements – This sets the neck and chest area up for lines, dark spots, and other signs of aging. Also, the neck and décolletage are often ignored when applying skin care products like sunscreen and serums.
- We crane our necks constantly when using devices – This habit can lead to “tech neck” or the pain and wrinkles on the neck and chest area. Repeatedly flexing your neck down or forward when using phones and other devices can cause those lines to deepen over time.
What are the most common concerns about the neck?
The neck is often neglected in skin care, which then makes it more prone to developing early skin aging. Here are the common concerns and signs of aging on the neck
- Lines and wrinkles – Repeated motions, sun exposure, and genetics contribute to the formation of neck lines and wrinkles. Some of these are inevitable and a part of aging, but certain things like smoking and prolonged UV exposure can make the wrinkles worse.
- Sagging or loose skin – This occurs along the jaw, neck, and chest area. As the production of collagen and elastin decreases over time, the skin’s ability to bounce back also diminishes. Smoking and sun damage further speed up aging on the neck. Sagging skin on the area is also referred to as the turkey neck.
- Age spots or hyperpigmentation – Age spots or sun spots can appear at an earlier age if you spend too much time in the sun and forgo sun protection. These spots are common on the neck and other areas that receive the most sun exposure like the face, hands, arms, shoulders, and back.
- Platysmal bands – These refer to the two strips of muscles that run vertically up the neck. These bands are commonly visible on older people’s necks and become more noticeable with age. Loose or sagging skin on the neck can also make platysmal bands more prominent or visible.
How can we help?
Here at Cutis Laser Clinics, we know how signs of aging on the neck can betray your age or make you look older than you really are. We provide a number of nonsurgical aesthetic treatments that can give you a younger-looking neck. We have procedures that can tighten the skin, lighten pigmentation, and soften the appearance of wrinkles.
Your individualized treatment plan, depending on various factors such as your acceptable social downtime, your expected time frame and budget, will be explained in detail during your consultation with our Harvard trained Medical Director, Dr. Sylvia Ramirez.