At this very moment, a destructive process called glycation is aging your skin from the inside out. In fact, researchers recently uncovered compelling evidence that stresses “the importance and possibly central role of glycation in skin aging.”
Glycation occurs when sugar molecules bind to proteins like collagen in living tissues, and culminates in the formation of deadly complexes called advanced glycation end products (AGEs).
This in turn significantly disrupts collagen metabolism and paves the way for wrinkles, creeping, and loose skin. That’s why researchers have ramped up their efforts to identify safe and effective ways to target this enemy of healthy skin. This includes topical nutrients including terminalia chebula fruit extract, blueberry extract and pomegranate extract that work in complementary ways to protect the skin against the detrimental effects of glycation as we age and promote dermal regeneration.
Treating Aging Skin
Besides from topical nutrients, avoiding certain kinds of food will further retain the youthful appearance of the skin. Another way to treat and rejuvenate the skin is by combining safe aesthetic and non-surgical treatments.
• Sugar-laden foods – Avoid high sugar-content foods such as chocolate, ice cream, candies and cakes. There are also foods that have added sugar or using another sweeter known as high-fructose corn syrup that causes glycation. Among these include commercial yogurt, fat free salad dressing, muffins, canned fruits and more.
• Refined carbohydrates – Another kind of food to avoid that causes glycation are refined or processed carbohydrates such as rice, bread, pasta, corn chips and more.
• Lasers or light treatments – Using powerful and safe collagen building technologies that work together provide lifting and tightening to the skin. Laser treatment such as Laser Genesis safely, discretely and effectively treat large pores, uneven skin texture, diffuse redness and scars while Limelight IPL facial treats redness, pigmentations and sun damage.
• Fillers – Dermal fillers are considered one of the best known treatments in restoring the skin’s youthfulness and elasticity. Dermal fillers are injectable gels that may be used to enhance cheekbones, plump up the lips, define the chin, contour the face, decrease the appearance of fine lines and reduce dark circles and to overall give a rejuvenated and well-rested look.
• Botulinum Toxin (or more commonly known as Botox) – A non-surgical injectable wrinkle treatment that irons out unwanted wrinkles. Botox is most commonly used to treat forehead lines, frown lines in between the brows and wrinkles in the corners of the eyes that results in a refreshed appearance while maintaining the natural facial mobility.
• Thread lift – A minimal invasive face lifting procedure that gently lift sagging facial skin to produce a smoother, more youthful appearance. Thread lift helps to raise the outer brow area, reduce jowling along the jawline, reduce sagging in the cheeks and naso-labial folds and the neckline resulting in a natural improvement of the overall facial the lower eye areas.
For discerning individuals, aesthetic treatments such as these are recommended especially for those who do not want any heavy and invasive treatment, but are looking for real and natural results.
- If you would like to be an informed patient, please contact us at +65-6801-4000 or
- Cutis Medical Laser Clinics, 9 Scotts Road Pacific Plaza, Scotts Medical Center #08-07, Singapore – 228210