Even though we can’t stop the natural aging process, this does not mean that we can’t look younger than our age. As external factors like lifestyle and habits can cause our skin to age prematurely, putting some preventative measures in place can go a long way in slowing down the effects of aging.
Here are a few things that can help:
Protect skin from the sun
Prolonged and unprotected UV exposure can damage skin cells that may later on result in age spots and premature wrinkling. It can also worsen or darken the appearance of existing pigmentation. This only makes it important to always take care of your skin whenever you’re out in the sun.
Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF 30 or higher. Choose a water-resistant formula and apply it liberally 20 to 30 minutes before going out. It is also a good idea to accessorize with a brimmed hat and sunglasses with lenses that offer UV protection. You should also limit sun exposure, especially during peak hours (from 10am to 4pm).
Use an anti-aging serum
To defy the signs of aging, consider adding a face serum into your skin care routine. We recommend Dr. Sylvia’s Fibroblast Growth Factor Serum. This formula improves skin texture and firmness, as well as protects the skin against UV damage. It targets age-related degradation, as well as reactivates collagen and dermal activity.
Boosted with Swiss Apple, Gotu Kola, and Centella Stem Cells, Fibroblast Growth Factor Serum helps block collagen breakdown and reduce wrinkle depth. You may also be glad to know that this product has been found to be more effective than Vitamin C in clinical studies.
Smoking is one of the worst things you can do to your skin. It causes premature aging by prompting the appearance of lines and wrinkles around the eyes and lips. The habit also deprives the skin of essential nutrients, which can then lead to sallow complexion and sagging skin.
Kick the habit or never start smoking in the first place. Doing so will benefit not just your general health, but also your skin and overall appearance. If you’re finding it hard to quit smoking, get help from your healthcare provider.
Take it easy with alcohol
Alcohol negatively affects the skin by dehydrating it and increasing inflammation. It can also make you look older by causing your pores and wrinkles to become more visible and your complexion dull and tired. It also compromises sleep, along with your body’s regenerative process), which then affects cell turnover.
Giving up drinking isn’t ideal for everyone, so it is best to limit your consumption to once or twice a week. To maintain healthy skin while drinking in moderation, stick to a consistent skin care regimen, eat a healthy diet, and get enough sleep.
Other habits to adopt
Apart from the things mentioned above, here are a few other habits you should adopt for healthy and more youthful skin.
- Avoid repetitive facial expressions like squinting or frowning – these could cause lines and wrinkles, or make existing lines become more prominent.
- Be gentle with your skin – this applies whether you’re cleansing your face or applying makeup and other skincare products. Avoid scrubbing your skin and use gentle products or those that are right for your skin type.
- Eat a balanced diet or consume lots of fruits and vegetables – a well-balanced diet, according to studies, may help in preventing damage that causes premature aging.
- Exercise most days of the week – this boosts immunity and nourishes the skin cells, which helps keep the skin healthy and promote collagen production
- Consider nonsurgical aesthetic treatments – if you’re bothered with lines, wrinkles, and other signs of aging consider injectables like Botox /fillers, and energy-based treatments like Ultherapy and Exilis Ultra 360.
Even if you’re already exhibiting signs of premature aging, making lifestyle changes can still benefit you. It is also a good idea to see a dermatologist or an aesthetic doctor in Singapore for product and treatment recommendations that can help you look more youthful. Contact Cutis Laser Clinics today and start your journey toward healthy and younger-looking skin.