We’ve all been there: touching our faces at one point or another in an attempt to pick a pimple. The urge to do so is difficult to resist, as many of us mindlessly engage in the habit. There are also those who spend minutes in front of a mirror just to pop and squeeze blemishes.
If you too are guilty at running your fingers across your face, you should know that doing so can give your skin a disservice. This is because it can irritate your skin in a number of ways and contribute to more blemishes in the future.
Why you should keep your hands off your face
One main reason you should not touch your face is that your hands are dirty. All the things you lay your fingers on (keys, phones, shoelaces, door handles, handrails) are covered in bacteria that is then transferred to your hands. This is why it also means transferring dirt and bacteria to your face.
This habit can spread dirt and bacteria that can lead to clogged pores. This is bad news if you have oily or acne-prone skin, as face-touching can make your breakouts worse. The same is also true if you pop or squeeze pimples. This can cause acne marks/scar or post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
Tips to help you stop touching your face
- Keep your hands busy – Engage in activities that keep your hands occupied. You can prevent your fingers from being idle by typing, playing mobile games, squeezing a stress ball, or practicing your drawing skills.
- Cover your hands – You can be more aware of how often you touch your face by covering your hands or wearing gloves. This technique can also prevent you from picking your acne, as well as transferring oil and bacteria from your hands.
- Create reminders – Place notes or daily reminders on the things you use on a daily basis (phones, laptop, and vanity). If you, for instance, notice that you usually touch your face while looking in the mirror, place a sticky note on it to remind yourself.
- Be mindful and substitute the habit – Acknowledging that you engage in this behavior can help you make a conscious effort to avoid touching your face. When you find yourself putting your hands on your face, you can substitute the habit by simply putting your hands down, snapping your fingers, or folding your hands.
Aesthetic treatments for better skin
If you are already dealing with skin problems, it is a good idea to consider aesthetic treatments. Here at Cutis Laser Clinics, we have a number of nonsurgical procedures that can improve both your skin tone and texture.
- Laser Genesis Skin Therapy – This non-invasive laser treatment can effectively treat fine lines, wrinkles, and enlarged pores. It can also improve uneven skin texture and diffuse redness and scars. It works by gently heating the deeper layers to boost collagen formation and improve skin quality. You will need at least five Laser Genesis treatments to see optimal results.
- Cutera Pearl – This laser skin resurfacing procedure can treat melasma, acne scars, freckles, and sagging skin. It removes a top portion of the skin and stimulates new collagen growth by heating up the dermis. The skin then forms a natural protective dressing, which will peel off after three to four days. This reveals new, healthier skin.
- Microneedling (Dermapen 4) – This automated skin-needling device creates miniscule needle punctures on the skin’s top layers. This causes micro-trauma and induces an immune response, leading to the creation of collagen. It can improve skin conditions such as fine lines and wrinkles, acne scars, enlarged pores, pigmentation, and stretch marks.
- VI Peel – This stronger type of chemical peel can treat acne, acne scars, and uneven skin tone. It can also help reduce the appearance of fine lines, age spots, freckles, and hyperpigmentation. This involves noticeable peeling three days after, revealing brighter and smoother skin.
Schedule a Consultation
Do your skin a favor and keep your hands off your face. Follow the tips above and consider aesthetic treatments for better skin. Contact Cutis Laser Clinics in Singapore today and schedule a consultation with one of our aesthetic doctors to find out which procedure suits you best.
- If you would like to be an informed patient, please contact us at +65-6801-4000 or
- Cutis Medical Laser Clinics, 9 Scotts Road Pacific Plaza, Scotts Medical Center #08-07, Singapore – 228210