Hair — we love it on our head and brows, but not so much on other areas of the body. While it has the power to build our confidence and ignite our spirit, it can also lead to the feeling of self-consciousness, especially with excess/unwanted body hair. This is also the reason we continuously spend time and money removing it, most often with shaving.
Shaving is effective and convenient, but one major drawback of it is its short-lived effects. The results last for only two to three days, or in some cases, 24 hours. There is also this perception of the hair growing back faster and darker, even though this is just a misconception. The hair does feel thicker and more noticeable though mainly because of the blunt tip.
For further reading: Why Does Shaving Make Hair Feel Like It’s Growing Faster and Thicker?
Shaving in the long-run
Shaving may seem cheap initially, but it is actually not cost-effective over time. As it has short-lived results, you will need to shave constantly (every two to three days) to have silky smooth skin. This means that you will have to continuously buy razors, gels, and creams. The total cost does add up in the long run.
There are, of course, cheaper razors or those with fewer blades or single-blade disposable ones. The problem is these are not recommended for removing hair in tricky areas. They also drag against the skin, resulting in further irritation. Four- or five-blade razors are the recommended choice, but they can be expensive.
With shaving, furthermore, old and dull blades are ineffective and likely to cause side effects (cuts, bumps, redness, and infections). This is why you need to replace your razors every one to two weeks if you shave daily or every two to three weeks if you shave every other day.
Other drawbacks of shaving
When done the right way, shaving is safe, painless, and effective. There are, of course, drawbacks to this method, especially if you don’t use the right tools, fail to prep your skin, and press hard on the razor against your skin. These include:
- Razor burns
- Ingrown hairs
- Inflamed hair follicles
- Dark spots/patches
What can help with unwanted body hair?
If you’re tired of waxing and shaving, SHR or Super Hair Removal (Reduction) is worth considering. It is a laser-based technology that uses low fluence laser pulses at a higher frequency to disable future hair growth. It is safe, effective, virtually pain-free, and suitable for all skin colors and hair types.
How it works: SHR uses 50% of light energy to target the hair’s melanin or pigment. The other 50% then focuses on the cells responsible for hair production. What the SHR device does is scan the area of concern with gentle energy pulses rather than treating the skin surface with high-intensity energy shots.
What makes it safe and gentle: The first, as previously mentioned, is gentle heating of the skin. It also uses an In-Motion technique and low-heat setting, allowing the applicator to be moved around instead of being held still on top of the skin surface. With SHR, there is gradual heat buildup and increased patient comfort.
Below are more reasons to consider SHR:
- Can treat all hair and skin types – It is suitable for dark and coarse hairs, as well as fine and lighter-colored ones. The latter, of course, will require more sessions.
- Can treat almost any area – SHR can help reduce unwanted hair in nearly every area of the body, including the:
- Arms and underarms
- Bikini area
- Lasting results – This method can help you achieve permanent hair reduction as it targets the follicles to halt future hair growth. You just have to complete the recommended number of sessions – 6 to 8 treatments with 4 to 8 weeks intervals.
- No cuts, bumps, and related side effects – With a light-based technology like SHR, you wouldn’t have to worry about cuts, nicks, ingrown hairs, and bleeding. You also won’t have to shave or wax after just a few days or weeks.
For further reading: Super Hair Removal: 5 Reasons to Consider SHR
Book a consultation at Cutis
We are happy to announce that Cutis Medical Laser Clinics Singapore has received the Gold Award for Best Hair Removal in the Expat Living’s Readers’ Choice Awards 2023. We use light- and energy-based procedures, which are safe and effective for permanent hair reduction.
At Cutis, we also have doctors on-site to either supervise or perform the treatments. You can get in touch with us at +65 6801 4000 to learn more about our hair reduction procedures or book a consultation with one of our aesthetic doctors.
- If you would like to be an informed patient, please contact us at +65-6801-4000 or
- Cutis Medical Laser Clinics, 9 Scotts Road Pacific Plaza, Scotts Medical Center #08-07, Singapore – 228210