Getting your skin to where you want it to be is sometimes easier said than done. This is especially true if you suffer from congested skin and have clogged pores, blackheads, and whiteheads. Skin congestion can also make your skin look dull and dirty, as well as feel bumpy and rough.
What exactly is congested skin?
Congested skin is the term used to describe when the pores are clogged (or congested) with dirt and impurities. This usually leads to the appearance of enlarged pores, along with blemishes like blackheads, whiteheads, and pimples. If you’re suffering from skin congestion, you might notice the following signs:
- Skin bumpiness
- Dull-looking skin
- Visible or enlarged pores
- Blackheads and whiteheads
- Inflamed pimples
- Thick-looking skin
To find out if you have congested skin, try running your fingers across your face. If it feels uneven or bumpy, it is likely that you’re dealing with skin congestion. You may also notice some whiteheads, blackheads, and other types of blemishes.
What causes congested skin?
If you’re dealing with congested skin, you may be wondering what’s causing it. A number of factors can cause or contribute to skin congestion. These include:
- Accumulation of excess oil or sebum
- Incorrect skin care (like poor/wrong cleansing routine)
- Using comedogenic skin care products
- Slow cell turnover (the continuous process of shedding dead skin cells)
- Lack of skin exfoliation
- Genetics and your hormones
Certain lifestyle habits like bad diet and too much stress can also contribute to skin congestion. This is because they can lead to excess sebum production, which can then cause a buildup of dead skin cells and clogged pores.
What can I do about congested skin?
Have a thorough cleansing routine – Be sure to wash your face at least twice a day and after sweating. You can also try double cleansing in the evening, which involves using two types of cleanser. The first one is usually an oil-based cleanser, followed by a soap-free or a water-based product. If oils, however, are not suitable for you, you can use two regular cleansers to double cleanse.
Exfoliate your skin – If you have congested skin, exfoliate two to three times a week. You can use products with hydroxy acids (e.g. glycolic acid and salicylic acid) to dissolve dead skin cells. You can also ask your dermatologist or aesthetic doctor to determine the best method of exfoliation for your skin type.
Consider retinoids – When dealing with clogged closed pores and blackheads, retinoids can help improve congested skin. They can also accelerate the rate of skin cell turnover. Over-the-counter retinoids can be a big help, but you can also ask your dermatologist for a prescription-strength formula.
Don’t forget to moisturize – Use a moisturizer that provides superior levels of hydration. We recommend Dr. Sylvia’s Deep Hydrating Moisturizer, which strengthens and hydrates the skin without the use of oil-based ingredients. This facial moisturizer also contains hyaluronic acid and seaweed to provide both moisture and protection.
Try aesthetic treatments – At Cutis Medical Laser Clinics, we have a number of non-invasive treatments that can minimize the appearance of large pores and improve your skin tone and texture. Here are some procedures worth considering:
- Laser Genesis™ Skin Rejuvenation – This gently heats the deeper layers of the skin to stimulate collagen growth and formation. Laser Genesis can effectively treat enlarged pores, fine lines, wrinkles, and uneven skin texture, as well as diffuse scars and redness.
- Hydra Dermabrasion – This facial uses the power of water and oxygen to remove impurities of the pores. It also involves the use of a vacuum-based abrasion tip to exfoliate the skin, remove blackheads, and unclog the pores. There is also the use of moisturizing serums to nourish the skin.
- Dermapen-4™ Microneedling – This uses an advanced microneedling device to induce micro-trauma in the skin and stimulate collagen formation. It can give your skin a rejuvenated appearance by minimizing the appearance of large pores, as well as improving acne, body scars, and signs of aging.
- VI Peel™ – This medical-grade chemical peel contains a synergistic blend of effective ingredients to treat a number of skin problems. These include large pores, acne scarring, fine lines, wrinkles, melasma, and hyperpigmentation. Find out why VI Peel is not your average chemical peel treatment.
- Pearl™ Skin Resurfacing – This uses an FDA-cleared laser technology that treats the top layer of the skin. It provides “stem-to-stern” rejuvenation that can improve fine lines and wrinkles, acne marks and scars, age spots, hyperpigmentation, sun damaged skin, and uneven texture.
Schedule a consultation today
Don’t let congested skin stand in the way of looking and feeling your best. Contact Cutis Laser Clinics today and schedule a consultation with our Harvard-trained aesthetic doctor, Dr. Sylvia Ramirez, to find out which procedure is right for you.
- If you would like to be an informed patient, please contact us at +65-6801-4000 or
- Cutis Medical Laser Clinics, 9 Scotts Road Pacific Plaza, Scotts Medical Center #08-07, Singapore – 228210