Facial hair is a lot more common or noticeable in men, but women can have it too. In most women, this hair is light and fine, but there are also cases where it can be thicker or more visible.
Unfortunately, this can be bothersome to some women who wish to have a smoother skin and more feminine look. There are a number of things that can cause or contribute to unwanted facial hair in women. These include:
- Hormonal imbalance – like producing slightly more testosterone than normal
- Genetics – this can run in the family; you are more likely to have it if your mother, sister, or other female relative have unwanted facial hair too
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) – this can result in higher levels of male hormones
- Certain medications – especially medications that can stimulate hair growth or synthetic variations of testosterone
- Hirsutism – excess hair growth in areas that are commonly seen in males, like the face and lower abdomen
Having excessive facial or body hair is not necessarily dangerous, but it can lead to embarrassment and feelings of low self-esteem. It is also important to note that if the reason for excess hair is hormonal imbalance, it may negatively affect your health. Talking to a doctor or an OB/GYN can help.
Tackling Unwanted Facial Hair
The way you manage facial hair should be different than the hair on other parts of your body. You also have to remember that the skin on the face is a lot more sensitive than other areas like legs and arms, so make sure to look for a facial hair removal method that is safe and comfortable.
There are a number of cheap and quick ways to get rid of unwanted facial hair, but most of them require maintenance and have short-lived results. These include:
- Shaving – The fastest and easiest way but the results are not long lasting. You may also have to shave again after 3 days and there is the issue of ingrown hairs.
- Tweezing – This involves using tweezers to pull the hair from its roots. This is mostly beneficial for shaving the eyebrows.
- Threading – It pulls and twists the hair from the follicle and is a common option for shaping eyebrows and removing hair on the chin, side of the face, and upper lip. The results can last longer than shaving and tweezing, but is not a good option if you have acne.
- Epilation – It uses a device called epilator that grabs multiple hairs from the root all at the same time. The results can last for a few weeks, but the process can be painful.
- Waxing – This can be done at salons or home and can last for about four weeks. The sad part is, it can be uncomfortable and result in ingrown hairs and acne.
A Longer Lasting Option
The way you approach facial hair removal is always a personal choice, but if you are looking for an effective and long-lasting way to get rid of unwanted hair from your chin, upper lip, forehead, and other areas of the face, you might want to consider laser hair removal in Singapore.
The Basics of Laser Hair Removal
This technology involves the removal of hair by delivering pulses of laser light, which the melanin or hair pigment absorbs. The light is then converted into heat, destroying the follicles and disabling hair growth. You can learn more about the science of laser hair removal by checking out our previous post.
At Cutis Laser Clinics, we have the Cutera CoolGlide laser, which is a US FDA-cleared laser technology. It has a longer wavelength and innovative cooling design, bringing safe and lasting hair reduction results. It is suitable for all skin types, including those with tanned and darker complexions.
One good thing about laser hair removal is that its technology can safely damage the follicles. The converted heat is only absorbed by the follicle and not the skin, preventing burns.
Things You Need to Know
While it is true that this technique beats shaving, waxing, and other common removal methods, do take note that its results are not 100% permanent. We have mentioned in our previous blog that it can remove about 80 to 90%, and any left hair should be fine and light. This method, however, is FDA-approved for permanent hair reduction.
Here are the other things you need to know about laser hair removal:
- Sessions needed – The number of treatments varies, but multiple sessions (about 8 to 12) or touchup treatments are required to see effective results. A consultation with an aesthetic doctor is recommended to know what to expect.
- For safe and effective removal – Only aesthetic or medical doctors are allowed to perform an optimal setting for laser hair removal in Singapore, not salons or spas. Plus, lasers in salons are less powerful and not medical grade.
- Related pain – There is some discomfort during the session, but this varies from patient to patient. It doesn’t hurt as much as waxing, with patients comparing the sensation to tiny pricks or rubber being flicked against the skin.
What about IPL Hair Removal?
IPL hair removal works in a similar way as laser wherein it uses safe heat energy to disable hair growth. The main difference is the type of heat or “light” used.
In Cutis Laser Clinics, we use Prowave by Cutera, a US FDA-cleared procedure that uses “intense pulsed light” to target the melanin (color) of the hair to safely damage the hair follicle.
Since it can detect the melanin (hair color), IPL hair removal is more suitable for fair to medium skin type with brown or black hair. Unfortunately, IPL is not recommended for darker skin individuals as the device will not be able to recognize the color of the hair from the skin which increases the risk of getting burned.
To find out more, you can also read our previous post about the difference of laser and IPL hair removal.
Make sure to consult an experienced aesthetic doctor who can assess your skin and recommend the right device for your skin type.
If you’re considering laser or IPL hair removal, you can also check out our previous blog to learn some simple guidelines before booking an appointment.
Schedule a Consultation
Don’t let your unwanted facial hair keep you from putting your best face forward. Contact Cutis Laser Clinics in Singapore today and schedule a consultation with our aesthetic doctors to find out more about IPL and laser hair removal.