When trying a new anti-aging or skin-repairing product, we want it to work almost immediately and make us look a few years younger. The sad part is no product delivers instant results or quickly improves all signs of aging. You also have to keep in mind that the way you use the products can influence your results.
Here is how you can get the most out of them:
Don’t overload on anti-aging products
Avoid using multiple anti-aging and skin repairing products all at once. Doing so can dehydrate and irritate your skin, which can then make signs of aging more visible. A consultation with a skin specialist can help you choose the right products or create a skincare regimen that suits your needs.
Do a patch test first
Whether or not you have sensitive skin, it is best to patch test new skin care products before using them. This is to make sure that you won’t have any adverse reactions like redness, rashes, and others while using the product. You should also know that hypoallergenic label does not guarantee that it won’t irritate your skin.
To patch test, apply a tiny amount on areas that are easily covered like behind your ear or side of the neck. To properly test for allergic reactions, make sure that there are no other products applied on the area. Wait for about 48 hours to see if you’ll have reactions. If your skin looks normal, you can continue using it.
Use the product as directed
Faulty application can make the product ineffective or lead to unwanted side effects like dryness or clogged pores. This is why you should carefully read the instructions and use the product as directed.
If the products, for instance, says apply a thin layer, don’t use in larger amounts, with the belief that doing so can increase the product’s effectiveness. You should also follow the instructions for proper or recommended storage.
Give it time to work and be consistent
Many anti-aging creams and serums take several weeks to a few months before showing results. Don’t lose faith if you don’t see any noticeable changes after just a few days. Dark spot treatments, for example, can take about three to four weeks, while eye creams may take six to eight weeks or more to work.
And if the product starts showing results, don’t stop using it. Continued use is important to maintain your desired results.
Protect skin from the sun
Prolonged and unprotected sun exposure can damage your skin and lead to premature aging. Make sure to apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen daily, even on cloudy days. Choose a product with an SPF of at least 30 and apply 30 minutes before going out. Other ways to protect your skin include:
- Seeking shade
- Wearing brimmed hat and sunglasses with UV protection
- Limiting exposure when UV rays are the strongest (between 10am and 4pm)
- Wearing long-sleeved shirts and long pants if possible
If you’re looking for anti-aging products to include in your skincare routine, Dr. Sylvia Skin Care has a few recommendations:
- ELASTIfirm ® Eye Cream and Serum – This medical-grade botanical remedy makes the eye area skin firmer and more elastic in appearance. It is also formulated with peptides and antioxidants that can protect the eye area against free radicals.
You may also be glad to know that ELASTIfirm can also improve the skin’s texture and condition, as well as help it resist environmental aging. It is non-greasy and can be used daily or applied under makeup.
- Fibroblast Growth Factor Serum – This helps stimulates new collagen growth while blocking collagen and hyaluronic acid breakdown caused by aging. It is made from plant stem cell extracts that have long been used for various medicinal and cosmetic purposes.
Fibroblast also offers healing benefits and age-delaying effects. It serves as a stem cell activator that can help increase dermal activity, reactivate collagen, and slow down age-related degradation of the skin.
- Vitamin C 20% with Ferulic Acid – This comprehensive super serum contains various antioxidant actives that work synergistically to enhance its free radical fighting properties. It can combat oxidative stress, and provide additional hydration and skin lightening benefits.
Get the results you want
Don’t let your anti-aging products go to waste. Help them deliver your desired results by knowing how to use them correctly.
To learn more about the products mentioned above or other non-invasive anti-aging treatments, contact Cutis Laser Clinics today.