You can also strip your skin by over cleansing or washing your face several times a day. This is a common mistake among those with oily or blemish-prone skin in an attempt to get rid of all the excess oil. The sad part is doing so can only irritate your skin. Over drying your face will only prompt your skin to overcompensate by producing more oils.
Why use or switch to a gentle cleanser
If you want to keep your skin clean without irritating or leaving it squeaky clean, it is advisable to use a gentle cleanser. This removes dirt and impurities without stripping your skin of its essential oil or leaving it feeling dry and tight. Here are the other reasons why you should use a gentle cleanser.
1. Protect skin barrier
As the body’s largest organ, the skin serves as a protective barrier. It protects the body from other toxic substances and prevents irritants from penetrating the skin. Using a harsh face wash can disrupt its barrier function and increase its permeability. This makes the skins susceptible to the outside elements and vulnerable to damage.
2. Avoid dehydration and irritation
While it is true that harsh soaps and cleansers can make your skin feel very clean, they can also make it feel tight and look irritated. There may also be other side effects like redness, flakiness, and flushing. This can be common with over washing or using a cleaner with dyes, alcohol, and synthetic fragrances.
3. Prevent skin dullness
As gentle cleansers don’t strip your skin of its natural oils, you are likely to have an adequate amount of hydration. This can then lead to a healthy barrier function with a complexion that looks radiant and glowing. Harsh cleansers do the opposite and make your skin dull, as it removes all oils and triggers a host of other skin problems.
4. Leave skin feeling soft
Harsh cleansers don’t just affect the appearance of your skin. They can also negatively affect the way it feels. It is likely that you are using an abrasive cleanser if your skin feels rough, tight, or painful after washing. This should never happen with a gentle formula, as it leaves the skin soft and clean instead of stripped.
5. Avoid clogged pores and premature aging
As harsh cleansers weaken the skin’s moisture barrier, it can become dry, irritated, and susceptible to inflammation. To overcompensate for the dryness, the sebaceous glands will then produce more oils. This can then clog the pores and trigger breakout. Dryness and flakiness, furthermore, can accentuate or contribute to premature lines and wrinkles.
The gentle cleansers we recommend
At Cutis Medical Laser Clinics in Singapore, we have gentle cleansers from the Dr. Sylvia Skin Care line. Here are some products worth considering:
- Gentle Milk Cleanser – This gently cleanses the skin without stripping off its moisture. It also features a smooth and creamy consistency that calms and comfort irritated skin. Our Gentle Milk Cleanser is free of any fragrance and further soothes and moisturizes the skin.
- Deep Cleanser with AHA – This provides comprehensive cleaning that removes dirt, excess oil, dead skin cells, and other impurities. It can help your skin feel clean and refreshed while also reducing blemishes and blackheads. Our Deep Cleanser with AHA is rich in moisturizing, soothing, and antioxidant ingredients.
- Perfecting Cleanser with RoseHip Seed – This contains natural oils and extracts to thoroughly cleanse the skin while leaving it soft and supple. It is professionally formulated to balance the skin’s pH level while also delivering nourishing vitamins. Our Perfecting Cleanser is ideal for all skin types and provides deep cleansing without stripping.
Be gentle with your skin and use a gentle cleanser. You can browse through our website for more skin care tips or contact Cutis Medical Laser Clinics in Singapore to learn more about our medical-grade skin care products and nonsurgical aesthetic treatments.