We cannot control about how the natural aging process changes our skin. This is why it is normal for the face to lose some of its elasticity, along with the appearance of visible lines and creases. This type of aging is referred to as intrinsic aging, which is mostly hereditary and passed down through genetics.
There is, however, another type of aging called “extrinsic aging” that is preventable. Unlike its counterpart, extrinsic aging is not genetically predetermined, but a result of lifestyle and other environmental factors. This only means that you can slow down its effects by taking preventative actions.
Being aware of the factors that cause extrinsic aging can help you take better care of your skin. Here are some of the factors that you need to watch out for:
- Sun damage – Prolonged and unprotected sun exposure can damage skin cells and result in photo aging. This can also lead to premature wrinkling and age spots, as well as worsen the appearance of existing pigmentation.
- Smoking – This accelerates the aging process, as some chemicals in the cigarette damage collagen and elastin. Those who smoke are also more likely to have wrinkles on the face and body, as well as sallow complexion.
- Pollution – Smog, smoke, and exhaust can negatively affect the skin by triggering the release of free radicals. These can cause oxidative stress to the skin, which can then lead to premature skin aging. Pollution, furthermore, aggravates the effects of sun exposure, which speeds up oxidative stress.
- Poor skincare – It is likely for your skin to age quickly if you don’t properly care for it or if you use low-quality and irritating products. The same is also true for rubbing the skin, not applying sun protection, or using products that don’t suit your skin type.
Reducing or Preventing Premature Aging
- Protect your skin from the sun – You can do so by wearing long-sleeved clothing, seeking shade, and wearing a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30. You should also avoid or limit sun exposure when UV rays are strongest (between 10 am and 3 pm).
- Eat a balanced diet – Load up on fruits and vegetables to minimize the effects of free radicals. Be sure to avoid or limit sugars, refined carbohydrates, processed meats, and alcohol, as they can speed up aging.
- Cleanse your skin right – Use gentle products and avoid scrubbing your skin. You should also wash your face at least twice a day and after a sweat session. Follow with a moisturizer or an anti-aging serum to give your skin a youthful appearance.
- Stop smoking or never start smoking – Do your skin and health a favor by kicking the habit or never starting smoking in the first place. You should also avoid social or occasional smoking, as it can still damage your skin and body.
- Workout most days of the week – Exercise increases blood flow, which then nourish skin cells. It also produces endorphins (feel-good hormones), with benefits like improved mood, better sleep, and reduced stress.
- Limit repetitive facial expressions – Facial movements like squinting, frowning, and raising your eyebrows can lead to fine lines and wrinkles. These lines and creases can become deeper and more permanent as you age, as the skin loses in elasticity and flexibility over time.
- Consider aesthetic treatments – Here at Cutis Laser Clinics in Singapore, we have nonsurgical aesthetic treatments that can help improve the signs of aging. Here are some procedures worth considering:
- Ultherapy – This US FDA-cleared procedure can naturally tighten the skin on the face, on the brow and under the chin. It uses time-tested focused ultrasound energy, which triggers the production of new collagen. This then allows the skin to achieve visible yet gentle lift over time. Read our previous blog to learn more about the wonders of Ultherapy.
- Titan – This skin tightening procedure uses an FDA-cleared laser-light energy to stimulate new collagen production. It heats the deep dermis and uses a safe, infrared light that causes immediate collagen contraction. You can turn to this treatment for improving lines and folds, and tightening lax skin on your face and other body parts.
- Exilis Ultra – This non-invasive procedure can effectively reverse sagging skin. It can also provide fat reduction and body contouring benefits. It uses radiofrequency and ultrasound energy to tighten the skin, reduce fat cells, and promote collagen production. It can target specific face and body parts with minimal to zero discomfort.
- PDO Threads – This involves the insertion of absorbable PDO threads into the deeper layers of the skin. Here at Cutis Laser Clinics, we use the Dr. Perfect V-Line Thread Lift (KDFA and CE marked PDO threads). This lifts and tightens loose and saggy skin on the middle face, jawline, and neck area.
Prevent premature aging with these tips and don’t hesitate to consider aesthetic treatments. Contact Cutis Laser Clinics today and schedule a consultation with our Harvard-trained skin specialist, Dr. Sylvia Ramirez, to learn more about these procedures.