Everyone desires to have soft and smooth skin with bright and even texture. However, the reality is, it’s not uncommon to see some spots and feel some roughness or tiny bumps when we run our fingers through our skin.
Unevenness may be due to common skin problems like acne, blackheads and dry skin due to aging. Uneven skin can also be a result of using the wrong skin care products, or lifestyle choices that hurt your skin.
How does uneven skin texture feel like?
Uneven skin texture feels dry, rough, and coarse. It can also make the skin look dull, as it does not reflect light well. This can affect your overall appearance, especially if your face has noticeable uneven skin texture.
What causes uneven skin texture?
A number of things can contribute to and cause dry and rough skin. Here are some of them:
- Overexposure to sun – This causes the breakdown of elastin and collagen, the two proteins in the body that give your skin resiliency and smooth texture. Sun damage is also responsible for the majority of visible aging on the skin.
- Smoking – This habit damages the collagen and elastin, contributing to premature aging of the skin.
- Aging – Our skin loses elasticity as we age, contributing to dry skin, wrinkles, and fine lines. Also, the skin’s production of collagen naturally decreases with age and the skin cells lose their ability to retain moisture and firmness.
- Poor skin care routine – This can lead to the accumulation of dead skin cells, which eventually build up on the skin surface. This can cause skin impurities like acne, blackheads, whiteheads, and enlarged pores.
- Environmental factors – Dirt, pollution, and chemicals all play a role in negatively affecting the skin’s elasticity and stripping the skin of its natural collagen.
How can you improve your skin texture?
As you age and grow older, it may seem almost impossible to have smooth and glowing skin. The truth is, however, with the right combination of skin care products and aesthetic treatments, you can achieve a soft, smooth and vibrant skin, as well as improve your skin tone and texture.
Here are some effective solutions to smoothen out uneven skin texture:
1. Improve Skin Care Products/Routine
Poor skin hygiene and using the wrong skincare products can lead to dryness, impurities, and uneven skin texture. This only makes it important to invest in quality products that are right for your skin type and skin concerns.
- Start with the right cleanser – Use a mild or gentle cleanser daily for eliminating dirt and impurities in the skin surface without stripping off its moisture. One great choice is Purifying AZA Cleanser from Dr. Sylvia Skin Care. This addresses inflammation and redness to reduce breakouts.
- Continue with a toner – Choose an alcohol-free toner that can get rid of irritating impurities left behind cleansing. You can visit this link for a selection gentle and pH balanced toners and cleansers.
- Moisturize – Use a light moisturizer (like a serum or gel) to keep your skin hydrated. This is also applicable even if you have oily or combination skin. The Botanical Hydration Gel from Dr. Sylvia Skin Care is one good option, as it is full of vitamins and minerals that can hydrate the skin while clearing bacteria.
- Consider prescription medication – If you’re bothered with acne or tiny bumps on your skin, Vitamin A topical medications like Differin is worth considering. This has been found extremely useful as it improves your skin turnover allowing it to exfoliate and clear the pores which reduces pimples and blemishes.
Be sure to do your homework or consult a certified aesthetic doctor in Singapore before starting any medication for your breakouts.
2. Laser Genesis Skin Rejuvenation
Laser Genesis is a US FDA-approved non-invasive treatment that uses laser technology to effectively treat uneven skin texture, wrinkles, fine lines, and enlarged pores. It can also be used to reduce acne scars, treat rosacea, and diffuse redness.
The procedure involves the use of a specialized handpiece that is slowly moved back and forth over the area of concern. The device then gently warms the top layer of the skin to stimulate collagen growth and promote skin healing.
Within two to three weeks after the treatment, new skin cells are produced and reach the skin’s surface layer. The body’s natural collagen production will then continue to increase over time.
A session of Laser Genesis takes about 45 minutes and you will need at least five treatments to see optimal results. It is also good to know that there is no downtime after the treatment so you can immediately return to your normal activities.
3. Chemical Peels
Chemical peels in Singapore are customizable skin services that can rejuvenate your skin and take years off your appearance. The basic concept of this treatment is “peeling off” or removing the skin’s superficial layers to promote healthy skin production. The skin will appear refreshed and vibrant as the new collagen forms.
At Cutis Laser Clinics, we have several types of chemical peels that can help improve and smoothen out your skin texture.
- Cutis Crystal Peel is a gentle peel that can help brighten spots, skin pigmentation and uneven skin tone. This can help you achieve a youthful glow and a fresh-faced appearance without any downtime.
- Cutis Anti-Acne Peel is a mild to moderate peel that can clean and unclog pores as well as kill acne-causing bacteria. If breakouts are the cause of your uneven skin texture, this treatment is a great choice as it can treat mild to moderate acne vulgaris.
- VI Peel is a stronger peel that can treat a range of skin problems such as acne, acne scars, and uneven skin tone. It can also help reduce the appearance fine lines, age spots, freckles, and hyperpigmentation. Unlike the two Cutis Peels, VI Peel is a more powerful peel which includes noticeable peeling three days after the treatment revealing a brighter and smoother skin. Read our previous blog on what to expect after a VI Peel.
4. Dermapen Microneedling
This is an advanced automated skin-needling device that is used for improving fine lines and wrinkles. It can also promote skin tightening and rejuvenation, as well as address a variety of skin conditions such as surgical and acne scarring, pigmentation, and stretch marks.
Dermapen Medical uses a safe technique called microneedling in which the device creates thousands of miniscule needle punctures in the skin’s outer layer. To achieve a specifically set depth, spacing, pattern, and frequency, the tiny needle pricks are precisely controlled by the device.
“Skin-needling” safely breaks up fibrous and uneven scar, while stimulating the growth of new tissue. Dermapen helps improve blood supply on the treated area, which also helps create healthier skin and provides a healthy foundation for new skin.
Microneedling has been proven to show improvement in pitted and non-pitted scars, fine lines, freckles, stretch marks, and sunspots.
The best part about Dermapen is that can be used in all skin types and can help eliminate a wide range of skin problems.
5. Skin Booster Fillers
Dermal fillers are safe injectables that can help “fill in” volume loss and restore youthfulness in the skin without going under the knife. In addition to these, they can also plump up thin lips, reduce eye bags and dark circles, soften facial creases, and improve shallow facial contours.
At Cutis Laser Clinics, we offer a number of dermal fillers that can address different concerns. One effective option is Juvederm Volite, an innovative filler treatment that can improve the quality of the skin for about 9 to 12 months. It is injected into the middle layer of the dermis to nourish and smoothen the skin from inside out.
Juvederm Volite uses the hydrating power of hyaluronic acid (HA), which is a naturally occurring substance found in the body with main functions like providing moisture and natural lubrication.
What’s great about this treatment is its high water-binding capacity that makes it effective in hydrating the skin. You can also turn to Juvederm Volite to increase skin elasticity, as HA can also stimulate collagen growth. The plumping effect can be seen after the procedure, but full results are only visible after two weeks.
Schedule your Consultation
Don’t let uneven skin texture make your skin look dull, dry, and rough. Consider any of the treatment and products mentioned above, and contact Cutis Laser Clinics today.
Schedule a consultation with our Harvard-trained aesthetic doctor, Dr. Sylvia Ramirez, to learn which procedure suits you best.