ZLipo is a fat freezing treatment that uses controlled cooling temperatures to target and kill fat cells. It is designed for reducing stubborn or localized fat bulges that don’t respond to diet and exercise. It now has 360° applicators that can take your fat freezing treatment further.
In this webinar, Dr. Sylvia talked about Cryolipolysis using ZLipo and its 360° applicators. She discussed the science and mechanism of action of Cryolipolysis and how it can induce lipolysis (the process of breaking down lipids) without damage to other tissues and structures.
Here are some of the important points highlighted in the webinar:
- Cryolipolysis selectively targets subcutaneous fat – This refers to the soft and pinchable fat located underneath the skin. They can be found all over the body, with common areas like the belly, arms, chin, buttocks, and thighs.
- Comparison with other non-invasive fat reduction – According to a systematic review (Kennedy, et al 2015), Cryolipolysis yields the highest patient satisfaction and circumference reduction in the abdomen and thighs compared to other non-invasive fat reduction methods.
- What happens to fat in Cryolipolysis – Treated fat cells undergo apoptosis or natural cell death. This is a natural, orderly, and gradual process. With ZLipo, the complete breakdown and removal of fat cells through the lymphatic system take about 10 to 12 weeks.
- Cryolipolysis may sometimes be preferred over liposuction – This is true for non-obese patients seeking localized (subcutaneous) fat reduction. Fat freezing may also be ideal for those who cannot undergo liposuction as well as certain body areas with risk of contour irregularities (thighs, knees, back, underarms, arms).
The ZLipo System and 360° applicators
Dr. Sylvia also offered an overview of the ZLipo System and the current and new ZLipo 360° handpieces. Here are the benefits of the 360° applicators, as mentioned in the webinar.
- Cooling is homogenous – the entire cup is cooled, resulting in a safer application and even fat reduction.
- Reduced treatment time – from one hour to 35 minutes.
- Safer and more comfortable – the vacuum suction is distributed through the entire handpieces.
Combination Treatments are Key
Cryolipolysis by ZLipo works well with other devices, delivering faster fat absorption and abdominal toning. These include other Zimmer Aesthetics devices like ZWave and ZField Dual.
ZWave – is a form of acoustic shockwave therapy that uses modified wave pulses. It induces targeted vibrations within the connective tissues to break down fat. It can help remodel fibrous tissues, as well as cellulite. At Cutis, we use ZWave after Cryolipolysis and for contouring irregularities.
Studies suggest that Cryolipolysis with acoustic wave treatments resulted in faster fat absorption and more fat reduction than fat freezing with initial massage only.
ZField Dual – uses electromagnetic pulses to stimulate muscle contractions. It is a body shaping device that tones the abdomen and buttocks, as well as arms, upper legs, and calves. It can help you burn fat and build muscles with no tissue damage except to the unwanted fat cells through cell death and lipolysis.
One study suggested that the combination of Cryolipolysis and electromagnetic muscle stimulation (EMMS) produced noticeable results in circumferential reduction with enhanced abdominal contouring.
In the webinar, Dr. Sylvia shared studies about the effectiveness of Cryolipolysis in different areas of the body. She also answered questions regarding her experience of using the new 360° handpieces, including the other Zimmer Z devices. Watch the recorded video of our webinar now to learn more.