Acne, wrinkles, and dull skin are not the only ones that can affect a person’s confidence level. Unwanted hair in visible areas of the body is another concern that can make an individual insecure or embarrassed. This is why both men and women, especially the latter, remove unwanted body hair to look and feel good, or show off their silky-smooth skin.
What exactly is unwanted body hair?
While everyone has body hair, it can be more noticeable in other people. In some women, this hair growth can occur in the face, particularly in the upper lip or around the mouth and on the chin. These areas are considered unusual for hair growth among women, which is why they are considered unwanted hair.
Excess or unwanted body hair can also be a condition called hirsutism. It occurs when hormones cause hair to grow in a woman’s body in areas where it usually only grows in men. Hirsutism leads to excessive growth of coarse or dark hair in the face, chest, and back. Other areas may include the lower abdomen, back, and inner thighs.
The term “excessive”, however, can be subjective as people have different opinions on what is considered too much. Hirsutism can be due to underlying medical conditions, including polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), congenital adrenal hyperplasia, medication, and tumors. But there are also cases where it has no other identifiable cause (referred to as idiopathic hirsutism).
How does unwanted hair affect your confidence?
Hair removal has been an accepted practice as early as the 1800s. Some consider it as a way of self-enhancement or making them look and feel better, especially when they have silky smooth skin. Hair-free skin is also considered attractive, particularly when showing off certain areas of the body like the legs or stomach.
It is normal to feel a little less confident when other people make comments about your appearance or notice unwanted hair growth in certain areas of the body. It is also common for unwanted or excess hair in noticeable places to attract attention from others, which can make you feel embarrassed or even affect your level of self-worth.
Deciding to remove body hair
It is important to keep in mind that getting rid of unwanted hair should be a personal choice. You should not feel pressured to remove it if you don’t want to. The final decision should always be yours and you should do what feels right to you. If you believe that it will make you look and feel good, then there is no issue doing it.
There are, of course, several methods that can help remove body hair with varying levels of effectiveness. These include:
- Shaving – is the most common and preferred method. It involves cutting or trimming the hair using a razor. It lasts 2 to 3 days, or in some people, just 24 hours.
- Waxing – removes hair by applying wax covered with cloth or paper strips, which are then pulled off to remove hair from the root. It leaves the area smooth and can last 3 to 6 weeks.
- Plucking – uses a tool called a tweezer to pull the hair out. The main issue with this method is that it is only ideal for small areas or those with stray hairs such as the eyebrows. It can last between 3 and 8 weeks.
- Depilatories – involve the use of hair removal creams (in gel or lotion forms), which break down or dissolve hair (keratin) from the surface of the skin. They are quick and painless, but can be messy or in some cases, cause allergic reactions. Results last several days to 2 weeks.
- Light-based methods – These include laser, IPL, and similar hair reduction methods. These use a light- or energy-based technology to target the follicles and halt future hair growth. It can lead to permanent hair reduction, but you may need to do maintenance treatments every 6 months to a year.
For further reading: Hair Removal Methods: Ranked from Worst to Best
How Cutis can help
Here at Cutis, we have a number of light- and energy-based treatments that can lead to permanent or long-term hair reduction. ProWave LX is one of them. It uses a specially tailored light source to disable future hair growth in different skin types and nearly every area of the body.
How it works: ProWave LX uses high peak powers and short pulse widths for a fast, effective, and comfortable hair reduction treatment. It targets the germ cell of the follicles using infrared light, zapping the pigment in the follicle bulb. This then destroys the pigment, helping to reduce the amount of hair in the treatment area.
What makes it effective: The device operates above 770 nm, the highest infrared wavelength available in the market. This is also considered an optimal level in achieving long-term hair reduction. ProWave also has multiple distinct programs that enable providers to customize wavelength and pulse width based on your needs.
Key benefits of ProWave LX
- Can treat fine and light hairs – The use of high peak power and short pulse duration can effectively treat lighter and finer hairs, which are difficult to target with other devices.
You, of course, will need multiple sessions depending on the treatment area, hair thickness, and the hair’s growth cycle. The typical number of treatments required is 3 to 6, spaced 6 to 8 weeks apart.
- Can be used on small and large areas – ProWave LX can remove or permanently reduce hair from nearly every area of the body. Treatment areas include the:
- Bikini area
- Suitable for different skin types – Both men and women of different skin types can turn to this hair reduction treatment and say goodbye to shaving and waxing.
- Lasting results – As ProWave targets the follicles and inhibits future hair growth, you can expect more permanent or lasting results. Just make sure to attend all your recommended sessions, so that if there is some hair regrowth, it will be finer, thinner, and sparser than before.
- Other benefits include:
- More permanent results
- Fast and easy treatment
- No cuts, ingrown hairs, and other related side effects
- No need to shave regularly or book waxing appointments
We are thrilled to share that our clinic has received the Gold Award for Best Hair Removal in the Expat Living’s Readers’ Choice Awards 2023. If you want to learn more about ProWave LX and our clinic’s other hair reduction procedures, give us a call at +65 6801 4000 to schedule a consultation with our aesthetic doctor.