When visible lines start appearing on your forehead, you may try concealing problem with a hat or a new hairstyle with bangs. Unfortunately, those solutions do nothing to improve the appearance of your forehead wrinkles. The best thing you should do, of course, is to treat your skin right and try aesthetic treatments.
One of the best ways to prevent wrinkles or keep existing ones from becoming deep is to know the causes of forehead lines.
Just like any other wrinkles, those on your forehead start to form due to the breakdown of collagen in the skin. Continue reading to learn more about the other factors that contribute to wrinkles and collagen breakdown.
- Aging – Collagen production tends to decline with age, leading to signs of aging in the skin, including lines and wrinkles.
- Stress – Too much stress causes the body to release cortisol (stress hormone), which is known to negatively affect skin health and damage collagen.
- Repeated facial expressions – Wrinkles and premature aging can be due to frequent or exaggerated facial expressions, including squinting, frowning, or raising your eyebrows.
- Poor diet – Processed and salty foods are associated not just with heart problems, but also the formation of wrinkles and age spots.
- Overexposure to the sun – Frequent or unprotected sun exposure causes premature aging, with the formation of wrinkles and spots on the face.
- Smoking – This habit is associated with premature wrinkling in the face and body, and accelerates the skin’s normal aging process.
- Genetics – Your genes can also dictate your body’s ability to generate essential proteins (collagen and elastin), including how quickly or well you age.
Now that we know what causes wrinkles, we can move on to tweaking our lifestyle and start adopting new habits that help prevent or minimize wrinkles. Here are a few anti-wrinkle remedies:
Treat your skin right
Apart from eating a balanced diet, quitting smoking, and minimizing stress, you can also protect your skin by maintaining a good skin care routine.
- Cleanse your face properly – It is important to keep your face clean, but make sure not to stress it with over washing. Over cleansing or excessive use of cleanser can strip the skin’s natural oils, which protects the skin from becoming too dry. Also, be sure to use a face wash that suits your skin tone.
- Moisturize – Don’t forget to moisturize your skin to prevent it from dryness related to aging. Choose water-based products and those that are labeled oil-free or non-comedogenic. This is to avoid clogging your pores.
- Use an anti-aging serum – One good recommendation is Dr. Sylvia’s Fibroblast Growth Factor. This helps reduce eye wrinkles and targets age related degradation, reactivating collagen and dermal activity. This dynamic serum also improves skin density, texture and firmness. Clinical studies have found it to be more effective than Vitamin C.
Try anti-wrinkle injectables
At Cutis Laser Clinics in Singapore, we have two FDA-cleared anti-wrinkle treatments. Read on to determine which one is right for you.
More commonly known as the brand Botox, Botulinum toxin is FDA- approved for treating forehead lines, wrinkles in the corner of the eyes, and frown lines. This injectable can effectively reduce the appearance of wrinkles while helping you maintain facial mobility.
It works by temporarily blocking the signal from a nerve to a muscle to soften the wrinkles. It may take about two weeks to see the full effect of the treatment that can last for about three to six months. However, this tends to last longer with touch-up treatments, as the muscles become less prominent.
Read our previous blog to learn more about this injectable and the things you need to know when getting Botox in Singapore.
Xeomin is an FDA-approved injectable treatment that can soften or improve the appearance of dynamic wrinkles. These include frown lines and forehead wrinkles. It contains the same active ingredient as Botox (Botulinum Toxin type A), but in a purified form. The absence of additives means that patients are less likely to develop antibodies to it.
Just like Botox, Xeomin also works by blocking the nerve activity that contributes to wrinkles. It is worth considering if Botox doesn’t work for you or if you have developed an immune response to it. The results can last for three to four months, but patients claim that the results kick in faster (1 to 10 days after the injection) than Botox.
Check out our previous post to learn everything you need to know about this Botox alternative.
Stop forehead lines and wrinkles from frustrating you. Contact Cutis Laser Clinics today and schedule a consultation with one of our aesthetic doctors to find out if you’re a candidate for Botox or Xeomin.