Frown lines are one noticeable sign of aging associated with negative emotions. These vertical wrinkles that sit between the eyebrows are often the ones to blame for looking angry, sad, or unhappy even when you’re not. Also referred to as angry 11s, frown lines become deeper or more prominent with age and even affect your confidence.
How do frown lines become permanent?
Facial movements form a groove beneath the skin’s surface. And since the skin ages, it becomes less firm and elastic, negatively affecting its ability to snap back in place. This can cause dynamic wrinkles (temporary lines formed by facial movements) to evolve into static ones or lines permanently etched into the skin even when your face is at rest.
The natural aging process causes the skin to produce less collagen and elastin, which diminishes your skin’s elasticity and makes it more prone to wear and tear. As previously mentioned, this means that your skin becomes less able to spring back into its original position, causing those furrows to become permanent.
Other causes of frown lines include:
- UV rays – responsible for 80% of visible signs of aging on the face.
- Stress – releases more cortisol (or stress hormones), which is known to break down collagen and elastin.
- Smoking – impairs blood flow, as well as damages collagen and elastin.
- Poor vision – can cause you to squint at your phone or computer screen.
What can help banish or reduce the appearance of frown lines?
Certain ingredients in topical skincare products can help reduce and prevent the appearance of frown lines. Some of the ingredients to look for include:
- Peptides – help strengthen the skin’s barrier and reduce wrinkles. Certain types of peptides can also stimulate collagen and help make the skin look firmer.
- Vitamin C – is an antioxidant that can protect the skin against UV damage, as well as fight lines and lightens the skin. Vitamin C can also help promote collagen growth.
- Hyaluronic acid – hydrates and moisturizes the skin, which can make it look plumper and smoother, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
If you need help in managing frown lines and other facial wrinkles, botulinum toxin can help. It works by temporarily blocking the signal from a nerve to a muscle, which relaxes or softens the wrinkles. It can be used to improve or reduce the appearance of:
- Frown lines between the brows
- Horizontal forehead wrinkles
- Crow’s feet or wrinkles on the corner of the eyes
- Smoker’s lines or upper lip wrinkles
Keep in mind that it can take two weeks to see the full results of botulinum toxin. The results last between 3 and 4 months or longer with repeated injections. It is advisable to look for a skilled or trained injector to avoid unwanted side effects and achieve natural-looking results.
Good habits can help improve the health of your skin, which can help reduce the appearance of frown lines. Some healthy habits to adopt include:
- Prioritize sun protection – always apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher. Up your sun protection game by wearing a pair of UV protection sunglasses and a wide-brimmed hat.
- Manage stress – Stress can sometimes cause negative emotions that may cause you to frown. Constant and prolonged negative emotions can lead to permanent lines and wrinkles. This only makes it important to engage in activities or things that can alleviate stress. These include:
- Exercising regularly
- Taking a break
- Trying relaxation techniques
- Getting support from trusted friends or a professional
- Take care of your eyes – If you have trouble reading, it may be time to get a new pair of glasses. Also, taking a break when working or looking in front of a screen helps relieve eye strain. You can do so by using the 20-20-20 rule — for every 20 minutes look at something that is 20 feet away for 20 seconds.
- Get enough sleep – Your body goes into regenerative mode while you doze off, repairing daytime damages and producing new cells. The skin, furthermore, makes new collagen, as a part of its repairing process. Aim to get 7 to 9 hours of sleep every night to allow your skin to renew and rejuvenate.
- Consider other aesthetic procedures – Here at Cutis, we have several non-surgical procedures that can improve wrinkles and other signs of aging such as sagging skin and dark spots. Below are some procedures that can help promote youthful skin.
- Titan skin tightening – uses a safe, infrared light and heats the dermis to stimulate collagen. This improves skin’s elasticity and firmness, as well as enhances the skin tone on the face, neck, and other areas of the body.
- NIR Cinderella treatment – uses pulsed infrared light to tighten loose skin on the face, neck, and other areas of the body. It can improve aging, sagging, and crepey-looking skin.
- Exilis Ultra 360 – uses radiofrequency and ultrasound energy to treat mild skin laxity, shrink fat deposits, and reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles.
- Laser skin resurfacing – removes or resurfaces the damaged top layer and stimulates collagen growth for healthier, younger, and smoother skin.
- Microneedling – ignites collagen and elastin to remodel the skin, improve skin texture, and reduce the appearance of aging.
- Dermal fillers – are injectables for replenishing volume loss or adding volume to sagging skin. It can improve the appearance of wrinkles, plump up the lips, and improve facial features.
Are your frown lines making you look angry or sad even when you’re not? Contact Cutis Medical Laser Clinics in Singapore today and schedule a consultation with our aesthetic doctor to learn more about our procedures and find out which one suits you best.
- If you would like to be an informed patient, please contact us at +65-6801-4000 or
- Cutis Medical Laser Clinics, 9 Scotts Road Pacific Plaza, Scotts Medical Center #08-07, Singapore – 228210