LATISSE® was discovered as a side effect of Lumigan which is used to treat ocular hypotensive activity. The drug reduces pressure in the eyes — an important part of treating conditions like glaucoma. Lumigan has several side effects including increased pigmentation of the eye and eyelid. It also tends to spur eyelash growth. However, one drug’s side effect is another drug’s intended application.
LATISSE® uses the same concentration of Lumigan’s active ingredients to promote eyelash growth. With this growth comes the risk of suffering other side effects. People using Latisse may experience changes in pigmentation or their eyes may become itchy.
If you stop taking Latisse, the benefits will eventually disappear. And since it’s not an over-the-counter drug, you’ll need a doctor’s prescription to purchase it. Don’t expect medical insurance to pick up the tab either — most insurance companies won’t cover cosmetic treatments. In Singapore, Latisse is available at Cutis Medical Laser Clinics, medical skin and aesthetic clinic, located at 9 Scotts Road, Pacific Plaza #03-03.
Some important do’s and don’ts.
• Do not apply to the lower lid or in the eye and blot excess solution with a tissue.
• Only use the sterile applicators supplied with LATISSE® to apply the product.
• Don’t allow the tip of the bottle or applicator to touch fingers or any other unintended surface, as contamination by common bacteria is known to cause infections.
• Remove contact lenses prior to applying LATISSE®. Contact lenses may be reinserted 15 minutes afterwards.
• Remember, if you stop using LATISSE®, lashes will gradually return to their previous appearance.
Step by Step Application
STEP 1. Before Applying
Before applying LATISSE® each night, ensure your face is clean, makeup and contact lenses are removed, and any other facial care products have already been applied.
STEP 2. Prepare the Applicator
Remove an applicator from its tray. Then, holding the sterile applicator horizontally, place one drop of LATISSE® solution on the area of the applicator closest to the tip but not on the tip.
STEP 3. Apply to Skin Using Applicator
Immediately draw the applicator carefully along the skin at the base of the upper eyelashes (where the eyelashes meet the skin) going from the inner part of your lash line to the outer part. DO NOT APPLY in your eye or to the lower lid because excess hair growth outside the treatment area may occur.
STEP 4. Blot Excess
Blot any excess solution beyond the eyelid with a tissue